How do I manage my LightStream loan?
LightStream's online account services area enables our customers with funded loans to virtually manage all aspects of their relationship with us. Here you can:
- Review your loan(s) and payment history.
- Make extra payments or pay off your loan.
- Update your contact information.
- Update your security information (user id, password, security question and answer).
- Conveniently apply for another loan.
If you have a funded loan - just sign in to begin.
LightStream is an online consumer lending division of Atlanta-based SunTrust Bank, and is located in San Diego. LightStream specializes in providing consumer loans to borrowers via the internet, offering a simplified and completely digital and paperless origination, underwriting and servicing experience to our customers.
This is a progressive business where technology and innovation are at the heart of how we serve customers and solve business needs, and where our passion for delivering an exceptional customer experience runs deep.
If this is the kind of environment that would get you excited every morning, please visit the SunTrust career site, to view all open positions.
Equal Opportunity Employer
SunTrust supports a diverse workforce and is a Drug Testing and Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against individuals on the basis of race, gender, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or other classification protected by law.
For additional career information, disability assistance or to learn more about E-Verify, please visit the SunTrust Career Site.
Which credit agency do you use to get my credit score?How do I submit a credit reporting notice of dispute?
LightStream pulls a hard inquiry from Experian and Equifax. Credit scores often vary by agency and scoring models. For more information regarding how your credit score was calculated you may contact either of the credit agencies directly. It should be noted again that each individual profile is different and that we make our credit decision based on the specific facts of that profile.
If you think the information SunTrust Bank has provided to credit reporting agencies for your account(s) is inaccurate, please follow these steps:
Submit in writing the following, which is required by the Bank in order to conduct an investigation:
- Identifying information such as your name, address, and telephone number
- SunTrust Account number(s) and/or type(s) of product(s), which you are disputing
- Specific information regarding your dispute (Incorrect Status, Incorrect Payment History, Unsolicited Account, etc.) and an explanation of the basis for this dispute
- Copies of all supporting documentation or other information to assist the Bank in substantiating the basis of this dispute. Some examples of documentation may include: A copy of the relevant portion of the consumer report that contains the allegedly inaccurate information, a police report, a fraud or identity theft affidavit, a court order, or account statements.
If available, the following items can also be provided to help SunTrust more thoroughly investigate your dispute:
- Your date of birth
- A SSN or Tax ID number (minimum last six digits is preferred) to better identify your account
- The Consumer Reporting Agency name(s) reporting the disputed information
- Any additional information that would be helpful in identifying the account in question
As a convenience, you may fill in this optional Credit Report Dispute Form which you may submit as your written statement.
Please note that SunTrust Bank requires sufficient identifying account information and documentation of your specific dispute in order to investigate the dispute. If sufficient information is not received, SunTrust Bank may be unable to investigate your dispute.
Written disputes and supporting documentation are to be mailed to the following address:
ATTN: Credit Reporting Disputes PO Box 85526
CS-RVW 7955 Richmond, VA 23285-5526
Upon receipt of your dispute at the specified address, SunTrust Bank will begin the investigation of your dispute which can take up to 30 days.
Why do you need my credit card number?
Since LightStream provides lending completely online, we request your credit card information as a method to further verify your personal identity. Please be assured that your credit card information is not stored in our system or shared with anyone. It is only requested after you are approved for a loan and are in the funding process.
How do you define 'excellent' credit?
Given the unique nature of each individual’s credit profile, LightStream believes there is no single definition for "excellent credit." However, we find individuals with excellent credit usually share the following characteristics:
- Five or more years of significant credit history.
- A credit history with a variety of account types such as major credit cards (for example, Visa, MasterCard, Amex), installment debt (vehicle loans) and mortgage debt if applicable.
- An excellent payment history with no delinquencies or other problems repaying debt obligations.
- A proven ability to save, evidenced by some or all of the following; liquid assets (stocks, bonds, bank deposits, etc.), cash down payments on real estate, retirement savings, and little, if any, revolving credit card debt.
- Stable and sufficient income and assets to easily repay current debt obligations and any new loan with LightStream.
Finally, it should be noted again that each individual profile is different and that we make our credit decision based on the specific facts of that profile. Ultimately our determination of excellent credit is based on whether we conclude that there is a very high likelihood that our loan will be repaid in a full and timely manner.
Does LightStream offer GAP insurance?
No, LightStream does not offer Guaranteed Auto Protection (GAP) insurance (optional coverage for newer cars that can be added to your collision insurance policy) for any of our loans. If you are refinancing an existing loan that has GAP coverage, the coverage will not transfer.
How do you define 'good' credit?
Given the unique nature of each individual's credit profile, we believe there is no single definition for "good credit." However, we find that individuals with good credit usually share the following characteristics:
- Several years of credit history.
- A credit history with a variety of account types such as major credit cards (for example, Visa, MasterCard, Amex), installment debt (vehicle loans) and mortgage debt if applicable.
- A good payment history with few, if any, delinquencies or other problems repaying debt obligations.
- An ability to save evidenced by some or all of the following; liquid assets (stocks, bonds, bank deposits, etc.), cash down payments on real estate, retirement savings, and manageable revolving credit card debt.
- Stable and sufficient income and assets to repay current debt obligations and any new loan with LightStream.
Finally, it should be noted again that each individual profile is different and that we make our credit decision based on the specific facts of that profile. Ultimately our determination of good credit is based on whether we conclude that there is a high likelihood that our loan will be repaid in a full and timely manner.
How It Works
How does the whole LightStream loan process work?
Here is how it works:
- Apply online. You will receive a response shortly (during business hours).
- Accept loan agreement. Once approved, e-sign your loan agreement and set up your loan for funding.
- That's it! Use your loan. Receive your funds as early as today! †
It’s that simple. We’re so confident that you will love the experience, we guarantee it!
I believe I’m a victim of identity theft. What should I do?
Contact us right away by emailing email@example.com. Be sure to include your name, contact number, reference number (if available), and a brief description of the issue.
How does LightStream calculate interest?
LightStream offers a simple interest loan, with a fixed interest rate. Simple interest accrues on a daily basis, based on the unpaid principal balance. This means that with each payment, you will pay down interest accrued, and then the remainder will be applied towards principal.
How long are my funds available?
When you are approved for a LightStream loan you have 30 days to have the funds transferred into your account. Once 30 days have passed, the application will expire and you will have to re-apply for a loan.
Can I get a loan if I work in the cannabis industry?
Due to the illegal status of cannabis/marijuana under federal law, and regulatory restrictions on banks, SunTrust does not accept income that is derived from the cannabis industry in its loan underwriting decision. Borrowers are also not permitted to use loan proceeds for any activity deemed illegal under state or federal law.
What restrictions are there on how I can use the proceeds of my loan?
You are required to use your loan proceeds for the loan purpose that you selected in your loan application.
In addition, please note that:
- You may not use your loan proceeds to refinance an existing LightStream loan.
- We are currently unable to provide loans for the funding of college or post-secondary educational expenses, or refinance loans that were used for such purposes.
- Loans are made to individuals, not to businesses.
- Funding and payments need to be made to and from a personal banking account.
- We do not provide any loans for cash out refinance purposes.
- If you are approved for a secured auto loan, the vehicle must be registered in your name, and may not be registered under a business name.
- You may not use the proceeds of a LightStream loan to purchase stocks, bonds or other securities.
Loans for PreK-12 Education
How do you determine the interest rate on your PreK – 12 loan? Can I get a loan for college?
All of our interest rates are fixed, including those for PreK-12 educational expenses. You can determine your interest rate range by going to the Rates/Terms page and selecting educational expenses as your loan purpose, then your loan amount, and your loan term. This is the range you will fall in if you are approved for a loan and use our AutoPay option. Your actual rate will be determined by your credit profile. Applications meeting LightStream's excellent credit profile may receive the lowest rate.
Please note that we are currently unable to:
- Provide loans used to fund college or post-secondary education expenses, or
- Refinance previous college or post-secondary education loans.
Loans for Vehicles
How do you determine the interest rate on a vehicle loan?
You can buy any vehicle (new or used) from anyone (dealer or individual). Your interest rate will be determined based on:
- loan purpose
- loan term
- loan amount
- your credit profile
- payment method you select
Do you have any vehicle restrictions?
Whether you are purchasing or refinancing, we do not place any restrictions on the vehicle's:
We do not provide loans for cash-out refinance purposes.
Do you have any down payment requirements?
We do not require any down payment for your vehicle purchase; you may apply for a loan for the full amount of the vehicle.
If your application is approved, your credit profile will determine whether your loan will be unsecured or secured. Secured auto loans have the following restrictions:
- The vehicle you wish to purchase must be lien-free in order for LightStream to be added as the lienholder on the title.
- The vehicle must be purchased and owned within the 50 states of the United States or the District of Columbia.
- The vehicle must be registered in your name, and may not be registered under a business name.
What is your mailing address?
PO Box 117320
Atlanta, GA 30368-7320
Monthly Due Date
Can I change the date my payment is due after I’ve received the funds?
No, once the loan has funded, you may no longer change the due date.
Please note that payments made 18 or more days before your payment due date will be applied as an extra payment and your regularly scheduled payment will still be due.As an invoice customer, where can I make my invoice payments?
Invoice payments must be returned by mail or via your bank’s bill-pay. You cannot make payments at SunTrust Bank branches, or send your payment through a SunTrust Bank branch.
Mail your invoice payments to the address printed on the invoice. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have additional questions.
What kind of fees do you charge?
LightStream does not charge any fees.
No Prepayment Penalties
Do I have to pay a penalty if I pay my loan off early?
LightStream does not charge any penalties for prepaying your loan, in whole or in part. You may make extra payments at any time by signing in to your account.
What is the difference between paying by invoice, or by AutoPay?
When you set up your loan for AutoPay, your payment comes to us directly from your bank account. Because this is a more efficient arrangement, it enables us to lower your rate. If you choose to pay by invoice, your rate will be .50 higher. With either method, you have the option to schedule a one-time payment by signing in to your account.
Can I make an extra payment or payments?
AutoPay Customers: Your regularly scheduled payment will always be debited on your payment due date. Any check or additional electronic payment will be applied as an extra payment.
Invoice Customers: The best way to make an extra payment is to include it with your regularly scheduled payment, which must be received by your payment due date.
What if I make my payment early?
Due to our billing cycle, an invoice payment or one-time electronic payment received 18 or more days before your payment due date will be applied as an extra payment. Your regularly scheduled payment will still be due by the due date when an early payment is made.
Can I use a business or third-party account to make a payment?
No, payments can only be made from your personal bank account.
Can I get pre-approved?
We are sorry but LightStream does not provide loan pre-approvals nor do we take application information by phone, fax or email. You must complete and submit our online application in order to be considered for a loan. Also, if you are approved for a loan, you are under no obligation to accept the loan.
How do I make a principal-only payment?
To ensure the extra payment is allocated to your principal only, you must schedule your extra payment to occur on the same date as your regularly scheduled monthly payment.
How do you determine interest rates, and where can I find them?
LightStream’s interest rates are fixed. You can determine your interest rate range by going to the Rates/Terms page and selecting your loan purpose, loan amount, loan term. This is the range your rate will fall in if you are approved for a loan and you choose the AutoPay option. Your actual rate will be determined by your credit profile. Applications that meet LightStream's excellent credit requirements will receive the lowest rate. If you would like to be invoiced, the interest rate will be .50 points higher.
On our Rates/Terms page, you may also view our other available loan terms and calculate your monthly payment with our payment calculator.
When can I schedule to receive funds?
You can schedule to receive your funds within 30 days of approval.
Funds can either be deposited via ACH or wire transfer Monday through Friday except on a banking holiday. You must log into your account before 2:30 p.m. Eastern Time and schedule funding by 3 p.m. Eastern Time in order to receive your funds as a same-day wire transfer. If you wish to receive your funds via wire transfer, please be sure to contact your financial institution to clarify if there are any special wire instructions or wire fees.
To receive the funds directly deposited into your account via ACH Transfer, you must log into your account before 5:30 p.m. Eastern Time and schedule funding by 6 p.m. Eastern Time on the day prior to your desired receipt date.
Funds cannot be deposited into a business or third-party account. Funds must be deposited into your personal bank account.
Does LightStream participate in philanthropic programs?
Since 2013, LightStream has planted a tree for every loan we’ve funded through our philanthropy partner, American Forests. Learn how we support American Forests' reforestation and wildlife protection efforts.
How is LightStream related to SunTrust Bank?
LightStream is the online lending division of SunTrust Bank. You do not have to be an existing SunTrust customer in order to qualify for a LightStream loan; we serve customers across the United States.
Is my LightStream loan tax deductible?
We do not issue a 1098 on our loans. Please consult your tax advisor regarding deductibility of interest.
Can I really use my LightStream loan for anything? What are your specific rates and terms?
LightStream loans can be used for practically anything. Please note that we are currently unable to: 1) Provide loans used to fund college or post-secondary education expenses. 2) Refinance previous college or post-secondary education loans. 3) Refinance existing LightStream loans. 4) Loans are made to individuals, not to businesses. Please go to our Rates/Terms page for specific rates and terms.
Do I need to sign over my vehicle to LightStream; do you become a lienholder?
If your application is approved, your credit profile will determine whether your loan will be unsecured or secured for auto purchases/refinancing. In the case of a secured loan offer, secured auto loans are restricted to U.S. purchases only and must be lien-free so that LightStream can be listed as lienholder on the title. All non-auto loans are unsecured and lien-free.
Unsecured vs. Secured Auto Loan
What’s the difference between your unsecured auto loan and the secured one?
The unsecured LightStream loan does not require collateral to be secured by the loan, so there is no lienholder paperwork with this loan, and you can use it to buy any car from any seller.
LightStream’s secured auto loan secures the auto and requires some lienholder paperwork. The loan can be used for new or used car purchases from any automobile dealer or private seller within the U.S., and the existing title must be lien-free for the application to move forward. Secured auto rates may vary with credit quality.
Both our unsecured loan and the secured auto loan are simple, quick and hassle-free, with rates that vary depending on amount, term and credit profile. We’re confident you will have your best loan experience, or we’ll give you $100.
Get in Touch
If you have any questions, please check out our FAQs above where we have answers to commonly asked topics. For any other questions or comments, you may email us using the form below. We will respond promptly during our normal business hours, Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. and Saturday, Noon to 7:00 p.m. Eastern time.